Tuesday, June 21, 2016

First Work Day-Team 1

Work group 1 (Jack, Gavin, Ed, Nick, Charlotte G., Alex, Squire)

Today we worked on roofing a house. Our carpenters (Steve, Justin, & Mark) were absolutely amazing. Steve was the carpenter of the Kentucky Mission Trip 3 years ago, and he remembered the PPC'ers from that trip, so we got along with him just fine. Justin was a kid straight out of high school. Steve “ran the show,” but everyone got along just fine. The house had already been built in terms of the base, but the roof was yet to be put on. Before we could do anything, we had to secure the planks located on where the trusses were to be placed. After those were hammered in place, a truck came and delivered the trusses, and our group had to move all of them out of the road and onto the sidewalk. That was not the only lifting that took place today. Aside from moving the trusses, everyone had to assist in moving heaps of wooden planks from one side of the house to the other. This took roughly an hour. Though we forgot what they were called, everyone assisted in setting up these “bridges” of some sort on the sides of the house to create walking space. After the bridge things were set up, the trusses had to be placed. Gavin and Charlotte took the initiative of going up to the roof to assist in placing the trusses where they needed to be placed. Jack, Ed, Squire, Alex, and Nick were on the ground, and to get the trusses to the others, they had to work as a team to get them up a ladder and to Gavin and Charlotte. Everyone got through roughly seven, then it was time for a lunch break. Lunch was quick as everyone ate a simple sandwich along with some chips. Nick led our group’s period of devotion, and everyone was proud of his way of handling the group. This period of time lasted roughly 45 minutes, then it was time to get back to work. From 1-3, everyone took part in placing the trusses where they needed to be placed. Gavin and Charlotte were switched out on top with Nick and Jack, and by the end of the day, roughly 25 trusses had been placed on top of the house. Our group departed and arrived back at the church at around 3:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment